And go slowly.”-Thich Nhat Hanh
As humans, we experience so many emotions, and this is natural. Sometimes we get lost in them and need a break. If you feel like you need a little more calm in your day, try this short meditation.
Calming Meditation for Stressful Days
- Sit down, noticing the support of what you are sitting on underneath you.
- Lengthen your spine with the top of your head reaching upwards.
- Gently close your eyes or soften your gaze by looking down and forward.
- Take a deep breath in and sigh it out.
- Now, just breathe naturally. Watch as your breath flows in and out of your body. Watch your breath without trying to control it.
- Allow your breath to bring a sense of ease to your body, helping you to release any muscles that are tense.
- Notice if any thoughts enter your consciousness. Just notice them. Don’t try to push them away or manipulate them. Notice the thought. And take a slow breath in and slow breath out. Continue to do this with each thought that presents itself to you. Do this for 1-2 minutes (or as long as you need).
- Continue to breathe and feel yourself held by the earth below you.
- Feel your heart center gently lift up towards the sky, expanding your chest as you breathe.
- Allow the word CALM to enter your mind.
- Take a slow deep breath in, and slowly release it out.
- Slowly open your eyes, and return to the space that you are in, in this very moment.
- Notice how you are feeling now.
After this meditation, perhaps drink some water and ease yourself back into your day. Pay attention to what your own body and mind need, and be kind to yourself.
May you have peace within,