This week, I’ve been thinking a lot about the things that I feel like I need in my life. I’ve also been thinking about how sometimes I don’t allow myself to get the things I need because I feel overwhelmed with what I feel like my obligations are.
Do you ever do that? Wake up overwhelmed with all that you need to do in a day or all of the things that are worrying you, so you don’t take the time to take care of yourself? Then the day is about to end and you are just exhausted from all of the doing?
Let’s change this story!
Take a moment and think about what you need today.
Do any of these things call to you? Or maybe all of them? Or perhaps you have something you need that’s not mentioned.
The first thing to do, is to make a plan for yourself. You were taking time to worry about all you had to do, so let’s set that aside, and take a couple minutes to make a plan for how you will add in what you need in your life. Here are some examples:
- Patience – I need patience. I will take a calm breath in and slowly release it out when I feel like I’m reacting too quickly.
- Love – I need love. I remember that I love myself and that I’m grateful for all that I’ve done to take care of myself and create my own happiness.
- Hope – I need hope. I remember what in my life I have control over and make choices based on what I can control and release what I cannot. I remember that I cannot control the actions of another.
- Strength – I need strength. I remember all that I have been through before and how I was strong enough to make it through those times. I am strong within and can get through this time, too.
- Kindness – I need kindness. I remember that I can be kind to myself. I take care of myself with love. I can be kind to others and notice that it feels good just to be kind.
- Change – I need change. I can make a plan with the small steps that it takes to get to the change I need. If I take things one step at a time, eventually I will create the change that I wish for.
- Willpower – I need willpower. I know that sometimes the hardest thing to do is to start something… I know that I just have to begin, it might not be perfect, but if I begin, I can see where things go. I’ll do one thing to start today.
Life is a practice, so we don’t have to be perfect. We can keep trying new things and find what works for us.
I have learned this lesson over and over through my yoga practice. Yoga has been with me for decades, but my practice is constantly changing.
I’ve learned that no pose or posture can be perfect. It is a reflection of where I am at today – in this moment – not yesterday, last year, or tomorrow.
And so, each day, I come to my yoga mat, to my practice, and I allow my breath and body to reveal to me what I need each day. I move and breathe, and am able to imbue myself with what I need in the moment.
Today in my practice, I needed to pause and remember that I am strong. I also needed to remember that I have love for myself. I also needed to be kind to myself, so I allowed myself to take a child’s pose and restore at the end of my practice.
What about you?
What do you need today? Make a plan… and do just one thing for yourself today.
May you have peace within,