I’ve been noticing color lately. It’s a pretty big deal. For a long time, I was gravitating towards grey, black, and white. But, lately, as I’ve been making deep soul fulfilling changes in my life, I’ve been moving towards colors – all the beautiful colors of the rainbow. Embracing colors that move me, bring me joy, and calm me. Colors. I am feeling these colors more in my body.
Feeling colors in my body reminds me of the Chakra system. The chakras represent the natural energy centers in our bodies, and there is a color associated to each one.
- Root Chakra – Red. This is where your tailbone is. It is associated with the earth and survival.
- Sacral Chakra – Orange. This is where your hips, pelvis, low back, and low belly are. It is associated with water and emotions.
- Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow. This is the area between your low ribs and belly button where your solar plexus is. It is associated with fire and power.
- Heart Chakra – Green. This is the area around your heart. It is associated with air and love.
- Throat Chakra – Blue. This is where your throat is. It is associated with sound and communication.
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo. This is the area between your eyebrows. It is associated with light and intuition & imagination.
- The Crown Chakra – Violet. This is where the center top of your head is. It is associated with thought and cognition & awareness.
I feel like I am removing the blocks in my body that I have built up – consciously and subconsciously – through life experiences and influences. Now, I am allowing myself to feel each of these energy centers, allowing my authentic self to reemerge, and live my life in color.
“I’ve got to break free
I want to break free, Yeah
I want, I want, I want, I want to break free”
– John Deacon (Queen, I Want To Break Free)
How about you? Are you ready to live your life in color?
Start simply. Be open and breathe.
Visualize yourself breathing into the location of each of your Chakras.
- Breath into your tailbone. Imagine the breath is an earthy red.
- Breathe into your low belly and hips. Imagine the breath is a flowing orange.
- Breathe into the area between your low ribs and belly button. Imagine the breath is a fiery yellow.
- Breathe into your heart center. Imagine your breath is a loving green.
- Breathe into your throat. Imagine your breath is a clear blue.
- Breathe into the area between your eyebrows. Imagine your breath is a calming indigo.
- Breathe into the area at the top of your head. Imagine your breath is a brilliant violet.
- Breathe up and down the whole energy channel, visualize the rainbow of colors as you breathe.
- Come back to breathing normally.
This breathing practice may have brought up some emotions as you accessed each of your energy centers. This is a natural reaction when you are unblocking an area that you may have cut off because you are now feeling it again. So, go easy on yourself, release self-judgement, and go slow. Stop if you feel overwhelmed and try again another time. The key is to listen to your body and not force yourself to do anything. Go at your own pace.
When you’ve completed this breathing exercise, notice if you are more open and in touch with these energy centers throughout your day.
Maybe you surprise yourself by noticing the colors all around you.
And maybe they bring you joy.
May you have peace within,