I’ve noticed that this holiday season seems extra busy to me this year. I am doing a lot more than I have done in a while.
How about you? No matter if you celebrate all, some, or none of the holidays – it can be a chaotic time. Seeing family, friends, traveling, going to holiday parties, volunteering to help the underserved, or taking care of others? Are you doing any or all of those things?
It can be a hectic (& most wonderful) time of year.
It is also a time of year when we celebrate the idea of peace. So, let’s release some the chaos and create a little peace within.
Here is a meditation that was inspired by the somatic meditations in the book by Reginald A. Ray. I love to do this meditation when I need to release tension in my mind and body and feel calm within. When I do this, I feel like I am better able to stay calm amidst the chaos.
- Lie down on your back.
- Slowly scan your body. Start from the top of your head and move down to your feet. Pay attention to each part without skipping anything.
- As you scan your body:
- Notice the muscles in each part of your body and notice if you feel tension.
- Imagine the tension as thick tar or sludge.
- Imaging that sludge oozing out of your body and deep into the earth below. The earth can take that sludge and recycle it.
- After you have gone through every part of your body:
- Notice the space you have created.
- Allow all of that space you have created to be filled with calm and positive energy.
- Notice how you feel now – physically and emotionally.
- Take a deep breath and slowly get up when you are ready.
I hope that this meditation can help you find a little calm during all of the chaos during this holiday season.
May you have peace within,