Today I woke up in a cloud of fog. Literally. I looked out my window, and there was a beautiful mist surrounding my home, the trees, the landscape. I went outside. I could barely see through the fog, it was so thick. It made me feel like the morning was mystical, magical.
The morning fog also made me think about how easy it is to live in that fog in our lives. When we get into a place that lacks clarity and sometimes we linger there. Sometimes, it just seems easier. We stay in this haze not knowing what we want or where we need to get to next. We just let ourselves stay in the routine of the day to day without feeling fulfilled, just doing the bare minimum to get by. And then, we are tired and zone out to escape at the end of the day… or even in the middle of the day.
We’ve all been there.
But, do you feel like it is time to lift the fog?
Let’s discover our heartfelt mission together.
I first learned about one’s heartfelt mission (or heartfelt desire, heartfelt purpose) through the study of Dharma when practicing Zen meditation, then again in learning about Yoga philosophy, and then again when studying iRest Yoga Nidra (a practice of deep relaxation to help overcome trauma).
“Your heartfelt mission is the energy of life within you that gives rise to and sustains your inner felt sense of purpose, meaning, and value. It’s the life force that’s energizing every cell in your body and sustaining every breath you take, that gives you the energy to meet every challenge you face in life. Affirming your heartfelt mission puts you in touch with this dynamic force of life that can heal you through even your most challenging circumstances.”
– Richard Miller
Knowing what your heartfelt mission is and bringing it into living your daily life can help you live beyond the fog of the day to day. It can help bring real purpose and meaning to your life and what you do in your everyday.
To help you find your own heartfelt mission, take a few moments, and write down the following*:
- Write down the words that make up your core values. What are your core values? What are the beliefs that are essential to you? If you fully live them, what do you really believe to be important to you?
- Write down the words that make up your life themes. What are the underlying themes of your life? What are the themes that have been in your life that made you feel fully engaged?
- Look at the words you’ve written down. See which ones ring true in your heart. Write them down in the order of importance to you.
- Circle one, two, three words that feel the most important to you.
- Write a statement that represents your heartfelt mission. Make this a statement in the present, meaning make it an “I am” statement instead of an “I want” statement. For example, “I live a healthy life and practice healthy habits” instead if “I want to lead a healthy life.” “I trust myself” instead of “I want to trust myself.”
- As you go about your day, bring your Heartfelt Mission back into your mind, say it to yourself, affirming it as a statement of fact. You might even want to create a little reminder in your phone so that you remember to come back to your heartfelt mission.
See if the more you practice saying and living by your heartfelt mission changes how you feel in your daily life. Notice if the fog has lifted. Notice the changes in your happiness. Notice if you feel like your life has more meaning and purpose.
*The above practice of finding your heartfelt mission adapted from “The iRest Program for Healing PTSD,” by Richard C. Miller, PhD.
May you have peace within,